Friday 16 December 2011

Christmas card and embroidery design created in Digitizier MBX!

Every year I like to give handmade Christmas cards, last year they were using bits of fabric and free machine embroidery to create a bunting card, have a look here.

This year, at Janome, we have had a wonderful new top of line machine, the Horizon Memory Craft 12000 and new embroidery software Digitizer MBX. So, what a great time to see what I can make!

As always, time is in short supply on the lead up to Christmas, so my cards had to be something simply and quick to make... and I decided on a slightly different concept this year. I will create the Christmas card in CorelDraw Essentails X5, which comes as part of the Digitizer MBX package and use the same design to create an embroidery design for my MC12000!We have just had our technical training on CorelDraw Essentials X5, and many thanks to the wonderful Suzanne, who showed us all the hints and tips to use this fantastic software package!
So I used this package to design my Christmas Card. I have to confess, I didn't design the Christmas Tree from scratch, I used Istock website, which has 10000's of images for you to download. The Christmas Tree design was in .EPS, which is a vector format, this means you can edit the design piece by piece and also, it's makes converting to an embroidery so much better quality. Once my card was created, my Canon printer became very busy!
Then onto the embroidery design....
Using my Christmas Tree vector image, I went into Digitizer MBX, and into Graphics Mode, and selected "Convert Selected Graphics to Embroidery". This instantly converts each part of the image into embroidery, and now we are using a vector image, the software understands layering on elements of the embroidery design.
My Christmas Tree is now embroidery....
I then edited the design by changing some of the textures of the fill areas, by using Embossed Fill Patterns. My design is then ready to embroider in my Grand Hoop on my Horizon Memory Craft 12000.
Remember I said when using a vector image, it understands layering of embroidery elements... look at the bird, the body of the bird has been embroidered first, then the wings and eye is on top, this is the best way of using embroidery to give a quality finish.
The same with this bauble, the star is on top of the bauble, giving a great finish. Older software packages would have tried to make a hole for the star, making the stitches uneven and awkward looking.
I embroidered my tree on 100% linen canvas from Fabrics Galore, this is a gorgeous natural looking fabric and embroiders beautifully.
On the back I added some green buttons in different sizes to compliment the Christmas Tree embroidery design.
And... a Christmas Card and embroidered Cushion to match!

For more information on Digitizer, have a look at our website and, for the Horizon Memory Craft 12000, look here.

If you would like to use my Christmas Tree embroidery design on your Horizon Memory Craft 12000, please email me and I will send it to you as a 'jef file. heidi@janome-uk.co.uk

Have a wonderful Christmas and a very merry New Year!!!!

**************************************************************************************
I'm adding to this blog post on 9th January 2012.

Joan Kopp emailed and asked me for the .jef embroidery design of my Christmas Tree to use on her Memorycraft 11000 (using Digitizer MB to alter the size of the design) .... and look what I received this morning! A photograph of the fabulous table runner she made using the design!
Thank you so much Joan for sharing this with us.
Remember, if I have emailed you the design... please share with us your finished Christmas Tree projects!

1 comment:

I would love to hear your comments...